Sunday 23 August 2015

Week 16 before launch - Glassing the hull and fitting the keel



17.08.-23.08.15

Glassing the hull and fitting the keel




tailored and rolled up glass cloth
Monday after the weekly boatround I tailored the glass and rolled it up from both ends and positioned it midships.




Preparing for the sheathing
The glassed and ready epoxied hull


Tuesday we started the process with wetting the first three planks with epoxy. Then we carefully rolled out the glass end wetted it smoothly with epoxy again beeing aware not to move the cloth too much to cause no harm, like airbubbles.


Beeing wet you can't see the fabric, which is only on parts of the first 3 planks



After a view hours curing time I  put on an epoxycoat over the whole hull to prepare it for the next step. But that had to wait ten days cause I had to go back to Austria for 10 days.



While I was gone Ant kept the project running and started with finishing the stems and the keel. Therefore they had to add two "Cheeks" on the forestem and to shape them to the keel


The added cheeks on the forestem








Then they scarfed both keelparts and screwed a "Blindkeel" to the place where later the leadkeel will be.


Testfitting of the keel with the screwed on blindkeel




Everything seems to be fine....



While being at home in Austria I stayed in contact with Ant to know how the work on my boat was going on. My friend ensured me, that everything was going well and the keelfitting would soon be finished. But that was only half the truth. But let's not talk about that ....