Sunday 22 November 2015

Week 03 before launch - Coamings, shaping the Roof and Teak Decking

 

 16.11. - 22.11.15

Coamings, shaping the roof and Teak Decking.... 

and the decision not to launch


The plan of this week was to get the teak deck on. While I started to shape the covering boards along the sheer line, Ant produced and fitted the coamings, which will later let us sail dry and well protected.

At that stage I decided not to launch. It was a kind of  the feeling to have lost a race. It was a race against time but in the end I wanted to finish the boat in a good standard on not in a rush only to get it in the water. 







Teaking was one work I´ve been looking forward since the beginning. Together with Ant I cut and laid the pieces part by part on deck. First we temporarily fixed them with screws and washers and Teak Cutoffs as distance pieces.



















The lids, sky hatch and coamings  were framed.











Between this work we temporarily fixed the roof to mark the shape and position of the cabin roof beams. I know, it looks a bit odd at the moment, but we just wanted to get roughly the outside lines.












All part from fore to midship are ready to be glued. The radius around the cabin sides was really on the edge and we nearly couldn`t get them into the right position.






Before we started teaking the deck I glued the covering boards. That would give me the frame for all Teak planks and enough stability to bend them around the cabin a far as possible. 

 

A nicely framed starboard coaming made by Ant