Sunday 19 July 2015

Week 21 before launch - Planing down the garboard, producing the 3rd planks, producing the keel



13.07.-19.07.15

Planing down the garboard, producing the two 3rd planks, producing the keel

 

This week I started with great ambitions. On Sunday I made a scarfing jig for the router hoping as to be faster in producing the single planks. Parallel to the planking was the further work on the keel part of the program. Soon I realized that my (well working) jig was to small for my following planks cause of the always varying scarf angles.

Planing down the left overlap of the garboard and plank
The first two days of the week Mike (one of our intructors) helped me to plane down the garboard overlap on the hog, to get a smooth and flat surface for the Iroco-keel to be fitted on later.















Ross while working on the skeg
Ross shaped the keel to the rabbet-line. It was a hard piece of work, cause the 130mm width and more than 2000mm long piece of laminated wood needed very intensive chisel- and planework. At the end of the week  (Friday) Ross told me tired but very proud to have finished his work.








The positioned skeg

I wasn´t as successful. The already last week started production of the 3rd plank was finished Monday evening. Happily I put it on the hull...... jet it didn`t fit...... I tried again and again..... but had to realize: the shape was wrong, the lines didn´t match the marked hull points. I was definitely frustrated.


Plank No3 waiting to be shaped
Tuesday I started to produce a new template. The same procedure from the beginning but with my new and now larger router jig ver2.1.3. I finally got both planks number 3 ready.



Sunday evening the planks were glued and also the aft keel-part was nearly finished after I had shaped it with the power planer.
At least it was a successful week although I hadn´t reached my target, which would have been plank Nr. 5 at the end of the week. 




Next week ....